In Southern California, in today’s economy, it is very difficult to get the most equity out of your home. Many home owners who wish to sell their homes in this current Market it makes it very difficult to get out of the sale what you put in to the home. There are 10 quick and inexpensive home improvements that can be done that will help you get the highest dollar amount for your property. Most homes do not actually need an expensive remodel or changed drastically in order to get the most value out of the property. Quite often just a few small changes that do not have a high monetary cost although it does cost some of the owner’s time and maybe a few dollars for supplies.
When a home owner is preparing their home to be sold, it is often a misconception that expensive and costly remodeling will be required to get the highest return. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a limited or ceiling price for which you can sell your property in the general area in which your property is located. Remodeling your home at a higher cost than the increase in value after the work is completed would be a waste of time and resources. When your property only needs some minor improvements such as some fresh interior paint or inexpensive fixtures replaced to get the most value, it would be ridiculous to pay for an unnecessary remodel.
Begin these 10 quick and inexpensive home improvements by working from the outside towards the inside.
- Cleaning up the property and improving the appearance will make a big difference. Remove any trash or debris from the yard. Clear out all the weeds and trim around the edges. Grooming the outside makes the house more attractive to look at. Repair any damage to both the back yard and the front yard that might make it seem unsightly. Groom shrubs and use a weed whacker to trim small areas or any areas close to the fence. Plant new grass in any bald spots and care for and maintain your lawn.
- Landscaping makes a big difference for the beauty of the home and increases the value. Add plants, flowers, and shrubs that thrive in your climate. Try mulching the flower beds and try for flowers and plants that accentuate the color and texture of your home.
- Painting the outside of your house may not be necessary. Giving the walls a good scrub down, washing windows, cleaning shutters and other fixtures may also improve the look of your home. You may be surprised to find that your house is in better condition than you originally believed. Washing down the outside will help you to determine the actual damage that your house needs to have repaired.
- Moving to the inside of the home, it is a good idea to begin with removing any clutter. Throw it away or put it in storage to get the interior in order. A clutter free home is easier to clean and appears to be bigger when there is more open or available space.
- Much like the outside of the house, it is a good idea to wipe down the walls and wash the windows. Wash off the fixtures and switch plates so that you can evaluate what needs to be replaced.
- Adding some fresh interior paint might make a big difference and is relatively inexpensive and easy to do yourself. Make sure to fill all the holes including the little ones made by nails used to hang your family photos. This will assure a smooth finished look.
- Change out your window coverings with new blinds, shades or curtains. Over time window coverings tend to fade and look dull where new ones may improve the look and feel of each room.
- Look at your carpet. If it does not have much wear and tear damage, replacing it would be a waste of resources. Clean it up and shampoo the carpet to give the room a fresh clean scent. Shampooing the carpet can give added luster back to old carpet.
- Do not permit anyone to smoke inside your home because damage from nicotine and tar filled smoke can be costly to repair. A wall stained with that yellowish brown color is difficult to cover. These stains bleed through interior paint. The smell is also difficult and costly to remove from the interior of the home.
- Modernize the look of your home by replacing old fixtures and switches with new ones. If you choose to change them yourself, be sure to turn off the power before working on or changing any electrical item to prevent injury or death from electrocution.
When planning to sell your home, think about these 10 quick and inexpensive home improvement techniques you can use to get the most out of your investment. If you find yourself in a difficult area you know little about, please give us a call. You may find having a qualified contractor on your side will save time and money in the long run.